Monday, June 21, 2004

"Grace like rain"? Oh no, grace is the privilege of being rained on at all!

When I start to formulate my needs I get caught up on one question: "Why do I exist in the first place?" In other words, what is the rational basis for my own existing (rather than, say, my father, who was a better person than I am -- why is he dead and why am I alive?)

But there is no rational basis. I can't find one. I can't find a basis for my existing in preference to another being. I can't find an objective basis for my existing as opposed to ... not existing.

So it's all a gift then? It's not "grace like rain" falling on someone who is already there. The "grace" is that I am standing there in the first place, under rain or anything else. Merit doesn't enter into it. As far as merit goes I would not have made the cut. Existence is grace -- you can't give another reason.

This doesn't take away the needs I have but puts them into context. They are the needs of a creature that isn't necessary.

No comments: