Friday, March 11, 2005

Continuation

*

How can I? Ainsley said. I want to but how can I? You can't pray for something that voids your mouth and makes your prayer nonexistent.

So the girls sat talking.

I cna't do it, Ainsley said, not won't but can't. How do I pray for the social security I love and at the same time for *him*?

It is like praying no prayer.

Elise carefully sat silent. She let the girls go on talking. She embraced listening as a discipline. A long pause.

What I think you do (Elf said) is pray for his discernment. You leave a little space there. You are pretty sure you know what he *should* discern but you don't pray for *that*.

You simply pray for discernment, more or less throwing your own self into God's hands. Then you don't look down!

There is a right way, there must be, so you pray for him to find it. Security is worth praying for. He must think so too. (A long pause.)

*

Elf (Elise said) you are a person of discernment yourself, a person of faith. I am glad you are a part of this parish.

Because you discern discernment very well.

(However, discernment is nothing without vigilance.)

*

No comments: