Sunday, June 27, 2004

Estranged

If I am so interested in being God's friend, why do I backbite other people all day? Why do I submerge myself in envy (this sort of green and slimy substance like a seaweed knotted on my leg)? And why do I treat envy as my real God? Why is my practice so dark?

There is no rational answer to such a "Why" so I myself must not be rational. If God is real, all the cliches about our being brothers and sisters are actually the simple truth. Surely I can't envy someone whom I love and know like myself (assuming I either love or know myself, both propositions doubtful -- and now the seaweed stretches to cover me like ivy).

If we are essentially brothers and sisters, why is it that approaching another human being is bound like a mathematical function to becoming estranged from God? Why are we so accustomed to being not brothers and sisters but enemies? Why is our practice so dark? That is another "Why" that could not possibly have a rational answer so it's not only myself who must not be rational. My "brothers and sisters" aren't either, so we really *are* brothers and sisters -- in practice. And we twist that seaweed into our skin until it's our skin.

*

No comments: